Tuesday 26th December 2023
Dear football lovers, let me welcome you all to this first official press briefing since I assumed the office of the President of the Football Association of Malawi on 16th December this year.
Elections are gone. It is now time to set all systems rolling in our agenda to Transforming football in Malawi. You may recall that throughout the campaign period, I made a commitment to be a servant of the game. I further committed to be transparent and accountable in discharging my duties. It is on the above premises that I wish to report that I attended the FIFA Summit held in Jeddah Saudi Arabia on 21st December 2023.
The Summit was a very big success and an opportunity for Malawi to reach our to FIFA leadership and key stakeholders in the world of football. I therefore, wish to give you key highlights and outcomes from the summit
I had a special meeting with the FIFA President Mr. Gianni Infantino and the CAF President Dr. Patrice Motsepe. I shared with them our vision to transform Malawi football. The FIFA and CAF Presidents are very excited with our goals and ambitions and have pledge their support towards the development of Malawi football.
I have been assured of FIFA’s continued support to Malawi football under the FIFA Forward 3.0 Program.
At this juncture allow me to give full details of the FIFA Forward 3.0 programme. This programme rolled out on 1st January 2023 and will run up to 31st December 2026. FAM will receive a total of USD 8 million to be distributed as follows:
- USD 5 million for operational running costs for the 4 year period. This translates to US$1.250 million per year.
- USD 3 million for planned specific projects which are set out in line with a signed Contract of Agreed Objectives that FIFA approves. Such projects include:
- Infrastructure improvements and development, Competitions, Capacity building initiatives for football stakeholders
- National Team Support – for participation and improved performance; and
- Subventions – provision of subvention to support football development within Member Associations like the league and regional associations as well as clubs.
- FAM is also entitled to USD250,000 per annum up to 31st December 2026 for covering National teams international travelling costs.
- Additionally, FAM is entitled to receive USD 200,000 for the whole four years for football equipment.
Dear Football lovers apart from the support that FAM gets from FIFA, I have also been assured of continued support from CAF. This includes the CAF Annual Subvention of USD250,000 which is designated for the following:
- 50% (USD 125,000) towards Football development and other initiatives
- 10% (USD 25,000) Allocation to Member Association President
- 40% (USD 100,000) for Capacity building and Administration.
Dear Football lover as you have noted that there is an allocation of USD 25,000 per annum to me as a President, I have there decided to commit this money towards football development.
There are programs and projects that are ongoing e.g. Luwinga Technical Centre and Nsanje Stadium whose funds are approved and will be accessed for their completion. These will continue and my leadership with ensure speedy completion.
I have also confirmed with FIFA that the USD 169,580 that we applied for National Teams support has been approved and will be paid to FAM soon. This is a huge relief considering the enormous budgetary requirements involved in national team engagements.
Additionally, Super league and Regional Leagues Project support valued at USD 550,900 that is expected to be used for the next three years has been approved. This will ensure that our promise to subvent and cushion the Elite and Regional Football organization is on course as we begin the 2024 season.
As I conclude, I wish to reiterate our commitment towards transforming Malawi Football. My leadership will work tiresly to ensure that we serve the best interests of Malawi football within the confines of applicable laws and acceptable standards. 2023 has been an amazing football season. I promise more fireworks in 2024 and beyond.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2024 as we continue transforming our game