FAM , Mibawa, Zuku sign Mpira TV contract

Football Association of Malawi (FAM) has signed a contract with Mibawa Studios and Zuku Television for the exclusive production and broadcasting of football matches on Mpira TV.

The contract involves Mibawa Studios producing content for Mpira Television to be broadcast on Zuku decoder’s channel 064.

Speaking during the signing ceremony at Amaryllis Hotel in Blantyre witnessed by all stakeholders including representatives from Mibawa, TNM Super League clubs and Super League of Malawi, FAM president Walter Nyamilandu said the MoU marked the end of football being accessed on TV for free.

He said the deal will see TNM Super League clubs sharing equally 80 percent of the proceeds of about K350 million per year while the other stakeholders will share the 20 percent.

Zuku Television Country Director Elias Dziko said their platform will not just generate revenue for clubs but also expose Malawi football to over 250 subscribers in Malawi, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia.

SULOM president Tiya Somba Banda said 14 years after trying different broadcasting rights models, the latest deal is the most viable.

He said: “We have been talking about commercialisation of football in Malawi through broadcasting rights for 14 years, having started this process in 2007 when Sulom wanted to engage South Africa Broadcasting Corporation. We are witnessing this latest deal because we did not accept failure. At last we have a model that is not just viable but suitable for our context.”

Mibawa Studios Chief Executive Officer John Nthakomwa said they will provide the best production service having been given a seal of approval by CAF and FIFA.

“In five years we have produced over 200 football matches which include World Cup qualifiers, CAF qualifiers and Cosafa Under-17 Championshop.”

The agreement commences immediately with Airtel Top 8 matches which kicks off on Saturday which will be produced by Mibawa Studios and beamed live on Zuku channel 064 only.


Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on pinterest
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

This Post Has One Comment

  1. www.xmc.pl

    But wanna state that this is very beneficial , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

Leave a Reply

Recommended Stories