The Football Association of Malawi (FAM) Competitions Committee met on Friday 10th September 2021, in Blantyre to deliberate on cases of misconduct during the 2021 FDH Bank Cup quarterfinal match between Silver Strikers and Nyasa Big Bullets at Silver Stadium in Lilongwe on 18th August 2021.
On 25th August the Committee charged Silver Strikers Football Club, Mr. Mulo Makina and Mr. Suzgo Nyirenda for misconduct during the above stated match.
The Committee, having reviewed relevant reports from match officials, evidence and responses from the defendants and as mandated by article 24.2 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations made the following findings and determinations:
- Silver Strikers Football Club
Silver Strikers FC was found guilty on Nine counts of misconduct as charged and has been sanctioned as follows:
- Three Hundred Thousand Kwacha (K300,000.00) for failure to take precautionary measures to prevent their supporters and players from showering insults on FAM officials and Match Officials during the match contrary to Article 24.11 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- Fined of Five Hundred Thousand Kwacha (K500,000.00) for failure to take precautionary measures to prevent their supporters from beating Nyasa Big Bullets’ Officials, Bullets supporters and a FAM Match Official, as well as bullying Nyasa Big Bullets players and officials by pouring urine on them contrary to Article 24.12 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- Fined of Five Hundred Thousand Kwacha (K500,000.00) for failure to prevent their supporters led by Mulo Makina from provoking Nyasa Big Bullets Football Club supporters and engaging in violent conduct towards them contrary to Article 24.8 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- Given a warning for failure to control the influx of their supporters into the stadium by opening the gates and allowing fans into the Stadium against the FAM COVID-19 Regulations on playing behind closed doors.
- Fined Four Hundred and Fifty Thousand Kwacha (K450,000.00) for failure toprevent their supporters led by Mulo Makina from disturbing their opponents team talk when they invaded the dressing room area and prevented Nyasa Big Bullets players and team officials from accessing their dressing room at half time contrary to Article 24.20 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- Directed to submit names of the supporters who were in the company of Mr. Mulo Makina before their next official fixtures or risk sanctions in line with Article 110 of the FAM Disciplinary Code.
- Fined Two Million Kwacha (K2,000,000.00) and banned from playing official matches organised by FAM and its Member Associations at the Silver Stadium for a period of one year effective the date of this letter for bringing the game of football, FAM and Sponsor into disrepute contrary to Article 67 of the FAM Disciplinary Code.
The monetary fines totaling to Three Million Seven Hundred and Fifty Thousand Kwacha (K 3,750,000.00) must be paid before Silver Strikers FC next official fixture.
- Mr Mulo Makina
Mr Mulo Makina a Silver Strikers Supporter and Team Security officer, was found guilty on all thee four chargers as follows:
- Bullying opponents by pouring urine on Nyasa Big Bullets players and supporters contrary to Article 24.12 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- Inciting violence by provoking Big Bullets Football Club supporters and engaged in violent conduct towards them. contrary to Article 24.18 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
- the dressing room area and preventing Nyasa Big Bullets players and team officials from accessing their dressing room at half time by contrary to article 24. 20 of the FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
The Competitions Committee considered Mr Mulo’s past record in engaging in violence and hooliganism at football matches as below:
- involved in violence that led to ugly scenes and fracas at Silver stadium soon after a TNM Super League game against Kamuzu Barracks by forcing their way into the dressing room, attacking the Club Security Officer, spilling beer and decadent language to the Technical Panel. In as far as FAM is concerned the ban is still valid but Silver Strikers have not been enforcing it to the extent that they hired Mr. Makina as one of the club’s security officers.
Mr. Makina has been banned from all Association Football activities for LIFE with immediate effect.
Silver Strikers Football Club has been directed to ensure that, this time around, the individual ban conditions of Mr. Makina are adhered to, failure to do so will lead to sanctions against the club ranging from fines to points deductions.
- Mr Suzgo Nyirenda
Nyasa Big Bullets Chief Executive Officer Mr. Suzgo Nyirenda was found guilty of misconduct as charged in relation to above stated match and is sanctioned as follows:
- Fined One Hundred Thousand Kwacha (K100,000.00 and warned for insulting FAM officials and opponents contrary to Article 24.11 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.
Any party that is dissatisfied with the decisions has the right to appeal to the FAM Disciplinary Committee within 72 hours of receiving this letter upon the payment in cash of the Sum of Five Hundred Thousand Kwacha. (K500,000.00) in line with Article 15.2 of the 2021 FDH Bank Cup Rules and Regulations.